Outdoor Burning Information

Burn Permits

Outdoor Burning Information Burn Permits are required and issued by the Office of the County Fire Marshal and participating local fire districts for residential burning. Permits will be issued outside the Urban Growth Areas (UGA) that are located outside of the established no-burn zones and are within fire protection districts of unincorporated Snohomish County.

Call Before You Burn

Prior to any burning you we suggest you contact our Burning Information Line at 425-388-3508 [Call: 425-388-3508] to verify that there are no Burn Bans or Burning Limitations that may have been placed due to high fire danger or air quality conditions. For additional air quality information you can contact Puget Sound Clean Air Agency.

Puget Sound Clean Air Agency (PSCAA) bans all land clearing burning in Snohomish County, King County, and Pierce County effective July 1, 2008. A permanent ban on land-clearing burning in Snohomish, King, and Pierce counties was adopted by the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency's Board of Directors. The ban is effective July 1, 2008.

Residential Burning

Residential burning (a burn pile no larger than 4 feet by 4 feet by 3 feet) requires a permit under our burn permit ordinance. Residential burning means the outdoor burning of leaves, clippings, prunings, and other yard and gardening refuse originating on lands immediately adjacent and in close proximity to a human dwelling and burned on such lands by the property owner or his or her designee.

Recreational Fires

Recreational fires, no larger than 3 feet by 3 feet by 2 feet in size, do not require a permit. By definition recreational fires are cooking fires, campfires, and bonfires using charcoal or firewood that occur in designated areas or on private property for cooking, pleasure, or ceremonial purposes. Fires used for debris disposal purposes are not considered recreational fires.


As more people move to remote areas wildfires have become increasingly common as that creates an environment where fire can move readily between structures and vegetation. Emergency response can be difficult in these isolated and undeveloped areas. There is no guarantee that firefighters will be able to save your home if a wildfire occurs so it is imperative that property owners in the Wildland/Urban Interface (WUI) understand the risks and prepare appropriately. For more information contact your local fire department.